Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Day Two: No Tears



 

Today was less alarming but no less exciting. I learned to do more things that I thought I've had a handle on for the past... Oh, maybe TWENTY YEARS? Because you learn to fold things and use scissors in kindergarten, right? I'm doing my best to fold fancy-style by lining lining up the corners of the paper with the opening towards me, then flattening it in one sweeping left-to-right motion with a bone folder, and it's astounding how difficult this proved to be at the very beginning of the day. I'm getting the hang of it though. I hope.

The cutting is another story. I'm learning to wield a paper knife, which looks to me like a butter knife with a bluntish slanted top edge, and I'm still waiting to slice myself open with it.  I keep expecting it to just keep going like when you're wrapping the hundredth holiday gift and the scissors just guide through the paper like nobody's business, but I keep managing to cut pieces that look like I've used my teeth. I'm not even posting pictures of it here, out of shame. 

The above picture of rolls of book cloth are a small snippet of the palette I get to work with, and it made me laugh when I asked the boss man which ones were ok for me to use. "Anything! Be creative!" he said. What potential! I feel lucky.

No comments:

Post a Comment