Friday, December 9, 2011

Birthday!





I've been taking a black-point calligraphy class with the incredibly tallented Karen Gorst, and have been alternating between absolutely detesting and loving the practice. I'm at the love phase right now, because I'm learning to enjoy the process of shaping rather than enjoying the letters themselves (the more difficult they are to shape, the more ugly they become in my mind. I am a total wuss, this is obvious). I guess it's like learning how to cook something you wouldn't want to eat? Maybe? Anyyyyyyway, watching Karen shape the letters is utterly transfixing. Seriously, it's akin to meditation, and I didn't realize until she had gotten halfway through the second word that she was making something for me! Because it's mah birthday! I yelped when I figured it out and I think half the class thought I had stabbed myself with a nib. It happens! But seriously, check out Karen's work because she's a letter genius and it will make you want to be a better person.

No comments:

Post a Comment