Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Patern is Movement





I'm beginning to feel like I'm treading water a bit, as the action in the studio has picked up a bit and there isn't enough down time for me to learn new techniques. Instead I've been playing around with papers and colors using the standard case bound format, and am pretty happy with how these have turned out! Because any time one makes books that aesthetically match ones rugs, one is obviously On To Something (eye rolling is perfectly natural and ok by me).

Anecdote time: My first day, as previously mentioned, was a self-esteem trial, but the one moment of shining hope was when Gavin asked, "What is the purpose of endpapers?" [For all y'all muggles, endpapers are the colored sheets at the beginning and ends of the books that make it all nice and pretty.] I responded enthusiastically "To prevent the boards from warping!"and he seemed pleasantly surprised (so far, this has been the only instance of such, but I'm still warming up! I WILL impress him again, if it takes all dang year!). "No one gets that right!" he said, and I immediately killed his buzz by confessing that the only reason I knew that was that I had read it on his blog. It's difficult, this compulsive honesty thing.

2 comments:

  1. Faithy, I wanted to tell you - I just found a piece of blue and green marbled paper that I'm pretty sure I made at UNION TOWNSHIP (Ms Lawlwer?!!). For whatever reason, I've kept it all these years, and yesterday I used it to cut out letter that would adorn a collage book devoted our 2011 CSA POD!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful! It's always the weirdest high, using material that you've kept forever- so scary and exhilarating all at once. I want to see this book!

    ReplyDelete